Businesses these days, whether large or small, have a lot on their plates. Staffs have been stretched pretty thin. Workers have been cross-trained to handle multiple-areas. In the face of a growing economy (finally!) and the need to fill growing business needs, finding time to hire new employees either to handle the new growth or manage workplace peaks and valleys can sometimes seem daunting.
Ask any business owner who is faced with the task of hiring a new employee and they’ll usually tell you: “I just don’t have the time.”
And you know what? They’re probably right. Just look at the tasks involved in finding a new hire:
- Write a job description
- Place a want ad, take out an ad on the employment websites, social media sites, craigslist, etc.
- Receive and screen resumes. This often involves reading and rejecting the vast majority of applicants who invariably respond
- Narrow down the list to the best candidates and schedule interviews
- Hold the interviews and select one or two prime candidates
- Assess their skills and suitability for the task
- Check references
- Perform background checks
- Make a decision on who gets the employment offer
- Schedule their first day of work, prepare the necessary employment tax forms, payroll forms, present them with employee manual, arrange for their orientation and training.
- Hope that, after all that time, effort and money, the employee is a good fit and lasts more than a few months.
It’s a sometimes overwhelming process, filled with pitfalls and requiring an investment of time and energy that most business owners simply do not have.
That is where a staffing services agency can be a business owner’s “ace in the hole.” When using a staffing agency, all an owner needs to do is:
- Write a job description
- Contact the staffing services agency, send them the job description along with your desired skills and experience for the position.
- Wait for the agency to send you resumes of pre-screened, pre-interviewed, pre-assessed, pre-referenced checked and, if desired, pre-background checked or even drug-tested candidates.
- Interview the best candidates and make a hiring choice.
- Greet the employee on their first day and arrange for their orientation and training (the agency has handled all the first-day paperwork)
- If the employee doesn’t work out for any reason, call the agency and the agency will arrange for reassignment with a new candidate.
While it is true that temporary employees may cost the employer a higher wage rate in the short term, most employers soon learn that the savings due to the less extensive hiring process coupled with the faster speed in getting the new employee hired is a very economical and very smart tradeoff.
So, the next time your business needs to bring on a new employee, play that “ace” that you’ve been hiding up your sleeve, and call a staffing services agency, like The Temp Connection.
And please remember, The Temp Connection strives for your total satisfaction, if you, as our client-company, are not happy with our staffing placement we will replace the employee, refund or credit your account. You can be completely assured that we will provide you with a pre-screened and qualified employee to fulfill your staffing needs.
Ellie Patterson has been in the staffing industry for twenty-seven years and is a co-founder and partner at The Temp Connection in Tucson, AZ. She can be reached via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
image courtesy foto76 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net